On July 31, 1884, Redwood County Commissioners purchased 160 acres and a 9-room house for $3,000 from J.M. Little for use as a county poor farm. Previous to that time persons unable to care for themselves were boarded out as paupers.
In January 1899, the farm was sold and Redwood County was without a poor farm until June 22, 1907, when 55 acres on the west edge of Redwood Falls were purchased from A. Alexander for $3,000.
In 1908 a Spanish-style home was built by Weilandt & Stevenson for $16,450. It was known as the most beautiful poor farm in the state! It later became known as the Redwood County Nursing Home and finally the Redwood County Museum in 1978.
The Museum features many exhibits in this 2-story building, including early 1900’s kitchen, parlor and bedroom scenes, general store, military room, doctor’s office, pioneer tools, wildlife rooms, Native American artifacts, music room, toy room, early period clothing, and much much more. A one-room schoolhouse is located behind the museum. Exhibit Hall features new displays every season.
It’s hard to imagine that this building is already over 100 years old and the last poor farm left in the state!
We also have a gift shop featuring history books and novelty items.
With that said pictures never do justice for the real things so come take a tour and see for yourself! Click here for directions to the Redwood County Museum!
For Guided Tours & Appointments Call: 507-641-3329
$5.00 Adults $2.00 Students Children 5 and Under FREE