History of the MN Map

About 1930, Clara Painter, President of what was then called the Minneapolis College Women’s Club, exhibited a pictorial map of the Arrowhead Country being sold by the Hibbing, Minnesota Branch for their Fellowships Fund.

Prudence Cutright, a member in Minneapolis and head of the curriculum department of the Minneapolis Public Schools, suggested that a map of the whole state would be valuable to school children.  Members voted to undertake the project of making one, and Clara Painter was made chairman of research.  She was a history major graduate from Mt. Holyoke College, and had taught history.

Barbara Bell, a member who was a professional artist was named to draw the map and do the art work.  She was a graduate of Smith College, and had done further work at the Minneapolis School of Art and the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.

Painter and Bell collaborated and spent about a year composing the map, with the assistance of other interested members.  When completed, it was minutely studied and approved as accurate by the Minnesota Historical Society, and was published in the summer of 1931.

Subsequent sales for over 80 years have provided substantial support for the Educational Foundation, a fine contribution to the permanent objective of the entire organization which is to further practical educational work.

Clara Painter and Barbara Bell’s signatures are on the map.

(History of this Map provided by American Association of University Women on 10/6/11)

The Map is on sale at the Redwood County Museum or online, click here.

Proceeds from sale, benefit Redwood County Historical Society

Map size:  24″ x 33″